Saturday, April 16, 2011

Chicken Parmigiana

I'm so excited about this, for several reasons. 

1.  I haven't cooked in a long time, and I've missed it.
2. It has wine in it.  And
3. ...it has wine in it.

Like I said, its been a while since I've actually cooked anything, and so its been a while since I've blogged anything.  My hubby was home for two weeks on R&R, which is why I've been scarce.  But I'm back, and have several things I'm planning on putting up in the next week or so. 

I found this recipe on The Pioneer Woman.  If you haven't checked out her site, I highly recommend it. 

Ok.  So.  Chicken Parmigiana.  It's good.  Make it.  Hopefully with something other than Duck Tales playing in the background.

Not pictured: chicken breasts and flour mixture for dredging.  We all make mistakes.  What can I say. 

Here's what you'll need:
4 chicken breasts
1/2 cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup good olive oil
2 T. butter
2 T. sugar
1/2 C wine (I used Merlot)
2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
Parsley
Parmesan Cheese
Linguine, or pasta of your choice.

Take chicken breasts and pound them thin.  Dredge them in the flour, salt, and pepper. 

Set them aside.  Heat up the oil and butter in a nice big pan.  Adding butter to the oil will help the chicken brown up real pretty.  When the oil is nice and hot, add the chicken, and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side.  Set them aside and drain out most of the oil.  Do NOT scrape the pan.  Leave the yummy bits on the bottom. 

Add onions and garlic and saute for a few minutes, then add...wine.  About 1/2 cup.  Cook it until its become reduced by half, and bubbly. 
Add two cans of crushed tomatoes.  I had planned on using three, but didn't need the third.  So pretend its not in the picture up there, k? Thanks. 

Stir it all up and let it cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  It smells so good, try not to drool in the sauce.  Your family will thank you.  (This would be a good time to start your water for your linguine noodles.  Don't be like me and forget.)

After a while, add some parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.  Add the sugar as well, to cut the acidity of the canned tomatoes.  Then taste it.  Cuz its good. 

Add your chicken carefully to the sauce.  Sprinkle with fresh Parmesan cheese.  Then put a little more.  Then a little more.  Coat that baby with cheese!  Cover the pan for a few minutes, so your cheese can melt.  Then you might want to add a little more, if you're like me.  But you might not be.  You might be lucky that way. 

Sprinkle a little parsley on top of the chicken, then serve with linguine.  Spoon extra sauce on for good measure.  You'll want to, I promise.


Enjoy!

Love Liz



No comments:

Post a Comment