Friday, May 20, 2011

Chocolate Mousse

Chocolate Mousse is one of those desserts that make you go, “Yummm….” Seriously, there I’ve never met a mousse I don’t like and I’m sure you haven’t either. Well let me tell you, this one is no different. I mean, chocolate and booze? Sounds like a party to me.



This particular mousse is one my mom used to make. Now, she wasn’t the greatest cook by any stretch of the imagination, but one thing she could make was this mousse. So when it was requested that I make it for dessert for Mother’s Day/my uncle’s birthday dinner, I couldn’t refuse. It’s one of those desserts that everyone loves but no one ever seems to make very much. And why is that, you ask? It’s not because it’s difficult to make (it’s really not). It’s because it’s so rich and so bad for you that you fall into an instant guilt-fest after you indulge.

The music: The Gaslight Anthem…I know, shocking. Give “Even Cowgirls Get the Blues” a listen. It’s totally worth it.
The drink: Orange juice…only because I had it out to cook with.


Here’s the line up:

1c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1T. orange juice
2T. Kahlua
1t. vanilla extract
2 medium eggs (must be medium)
2 egg yolks
¼ c. sugar
1c. heavy cream

A quick note: I made three batches of mousse, so in my pictures, you’ll see more than what the recipe calls for.

Melt the chocolate chips, orange juice, and Kahlua over a double boiler. Now, it’s important to put them all together to melt.

 

Don’t melt the chocolate and then add the juice and booze….otherwise you end up with this hot mess right here:



Yeah, I totally goofed. Adding most liquids to melted chocolate causes it to basically say, “No, I’m not going to work for you.” After it all melts, stir in the vanilla. I realize this contradicts what I just said, but for some reason, it was what I was taught to do, and it works. Don’t judge me.

So remember:



Separate the yolks and all that jazz. I promise that it’s important to use MEDIUM eggs. If you don’t, the mousse won’t set correctly.


Put the egg yolks, eggs, and sugar in a blender. Blend on medium for 2 minutes. Add the heavy cream and blend for 30 seconds.


Add the melted chocolate mixture and proceed to have a conversation with your blender (unless you’re making a triple batch, you won’t need this conversation):

Blender: “Uh, you know all of that isn’t going to fit in here, right?”
Me: “Pffft…you’ll be fine!” *pours more of the mixture into the blender*
Blender: “I’m overflowing…”
Me: “You’re fine! Shut up!” *jams the lid on, turns on the blender, and watches as it begins spill out of the top and leak down the sides*
Blender: “Told you so.”
Me: “Bite me.”

So here is the after picture (meaning after I cleaned up) of what the mixture should look like after you’ve added the chocolate and blended until smooth.



Pour into small serving dishes or one large one and stick it in the fridge until it’s set. It should be the consistency of a firm pudding…or the consistency of creamy, dreamy, deliciousness as my cousin told me.



Enjoy!

Love,
Sarah

2 comments: