Friday, July 1, 2011

Lime-Garlic Pork Chops and Cheesy Cauliflower Mash

Before you say 'gross'...don't. 


I'm with you. I hate cauliflower. Always have. A friend had told me about this recipe, and mentioned, off hand, that her kids loved it, and even the teens couldn't tell it was cauliflower. So I plunged and gave it a try.

And am SO glad that I did. But first, the chops!

I had everything for this recipe in my pantry already, which is why I decided to make it. Only a few ingredients, and the lime-garlic combo sounded delicious.


Cast of Characters

4 boneless pork chops (or be like me, and cut two butterflied chops in half)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 t cumin
1 t paprika
Juice and zest of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste.

Combine everything in a gallon size ziplock bag, and give it a good shake. Or rub. Just do whatever you deem necessary to get the goods onto the chops. Up to you. Stick the bag in the fridge for at least 20 minutes, minimum. You can leave them in there for up to six hours or so.



Ok, fine. I made that number up. But I'm sure six hours will be fine. Or eight. I did two.

When you're about 40 minutes or so from dinner time, go ahead and start making the cauliflower.

What you'll need:

2 16 oz bags frozen cauliflower- you can use more or less, but this will be a good 8x8 size pan
3 T sour cream
1 T mayo
Green onion, to taste
Cheese, to taste (I used a cheddar jack blend)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- you could also add bacon, which is super good, if you have bacon. Which I don't.


Boil the cauliflower in water, and prepare just like you would mashed potatoes. Add the remaining ingredients (sour cream, mayo, cheese, etc.) and mash. 


Spoon into an 8x8 baking dish and cover with more cheese, if desired. (or bacon. yum.) and bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melty and bubbly and oh-so good.


Now onto the chops.  Again. 

Line a baking sheet, or broiler pan, if your husband hasn't used yours for God-only-knows-what and ruined it, with foil, which makes for easy clean up.  Easy+clean up=very, very good.



Place the chops under the broiler  for 4-5 minutes on each side, until nice and brown. 

The aroma.  Oh, the aroma.

Serve with a nice salad.  Enjoy!



Love,
Liz

1 comment:

  1. I have always LOVED mashed cauliflower! This looks like something I may be able to get my kids to eat :) Glad your blogging again!! This is Eden by the way ;D

    ReplyDelete