Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pretty Coleslaw

Who doesn't love creamy, crunchy slaw on top of a nice big juicy burger? Or on a hot dog?


Ok, so I realize that there are probably many, many people in this wide world that don't like coleslaw.  But I, am not one of them.

I love it!  With its slightly sweet, slightly tangy, crunch, its the perfect (or so I think) summer salad.

I've never made homemade slaw before, and so when I found a recipe for it that looked fairly simple, didn't require me to heat up my kitchen (hallelujah!) and I had (almost) all of the ingredients, I jumped on it.

Pretty Slaw
adapted from The Pioneer Woman

What you'll need:
1/2 head of cabbage
1/2 head of red cabbage (the pretty factor)
1/2 C milk
1/2 C mayo (I suppose you could use Miracle Whip, or something but...why?)
1 t. white vinegar
1T. sugar (I used truvia)
1/4 t. salt
A few dashes of cayenne pepper



Slice the cabbages in half


I never quite picked up the hang of coring cabbage. I've banged it on the counter, the floor, you name it. And I haven't ever felt the urge to buy cabbage in large quantities to practice on. So I cut it out. Don't judge me.

Isn't it preeeeetty?

Incidentally, why do they call it red cabbage?  It's...purple.  A pretty, pretty purple.
Slice both cabbage halves thinly and put 'em all in a bowl.
In a separate, smaller bowl, add the milk,
vinegar,
mayo,
salt, sugar, and cayenne pepper.  Mix it all together really well.
Pour milk mixture over cabbage.
Mix it up well, then cover and stick it in the fridge for a few hours.

You want to leave it in there for at least two hours.  The flavors need time to meld.  To marry.  To become one.

Yeah, ok I'm done now.  Enjoy!

Love, Liz

Also, I'm not really sure why this is all centered down here, and not up top.  It just kind of worked out that way.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment