Thursday, March 24, 2011

Basic Buttermilk Pancakes

Pancakes are tough.  To make homemade pancakes that are light and fluffy are hard.  I still haven't accomplished it. But today I woke up and wanted to make pancakes.  So I did.  So easy and tasty!  Be warned though, it makes a LOT of pancakes.

The cast of characters:

3 C. flour
3 T. sugar
3 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
3 C. buttermilk
1/2 C. milk
3 eggs
1/3 C. butter, melted



Ok, so.  Buttermilk.  I didn't have any on hand, but really, really wanted buttermilk pancakes. Because buttermilk pancakes make mornings better.  So I used a substitute.  I used 3 cups of regular milk, and added 3 tablespoons of lemon juice to it.  You can also use vinegar, instead of lemon juice.  Let it sit for 10 minutes before using it.

Mix together the buttermilk, milk, eggs, and melted butter.   In a separate bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients.  After your pan is nice and hot, over medium heat, mix together the wet and dry ingredients until combined.  Be careful to not over mix.  Just like with boxed pancake mix, its ok if there are clumps.


Take about 1/4 cup (if you want bigger pancakes, use more batter.) of pancake mix and pour it into the hot pan.  Towards the end, I won't lie, I was using about 1/2 cup of batter.  I only have so much patience with things that take constant watching, such as pancakes.

Use the same rule of thumb you would if you were making boxed pancake mix.  Once the bubbles start appearing, go ahead and flip the pancake, and cook for another minute or so on the other side.

Smear with butter and smother with syrup, if that's what floats your boat.  Or some powdered sugar.  Or, do it like my brother-in-law does it.  Peanut butter and syrup.  Put whatever you want on top.  Just eat them while they are hot!

Cheers,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment