Saturday, March 26, 2011

Chicken Fajitas

Now, what did I do today while my husband painted our kids’ room you ask? (Wait, you didn’t ask? You don’t care!? Well crap….I’ll tell you anyway) I cooked. Exciting stuff, I know, but try to contain yourselves, jeez.

I love making fajitas. I have ever since I was, well, two months younger than I am now. I really had no idea how to make them and never even attempted until I saw them in a book. One of those restaurant ingredient books. I made the fajitas they way they told me (using shrimp instead of chicken) and they were…alright. It wasn’t very flavorful which disappointed me. So, I decided to start making my own and haven’t looked back since.

Fajitas are SO easy it should be illegal. So make them. Right now. What are you waiting for? Get up and do it.


The music: None this time. I had Julie and Julia playing in the background. Completely appropriate for cooking and blogging right?
The drink: Diet Pepsi. Momma needed her caffeine!

For the meat part:
4 chicken breasts
Kosher salt
Cumin
Lime juice

Cut the chicken breasts into strips like so….

Sprinkle with salt, cumin (a little less than a palmful I suppose, I forgot to measure), and add the lime juice until it covers the chicken. Cover the bowl and let it hang out in the fridge for a bit. I had mine in for a couple of hours.



When that’s all ready, grab:
1 large green pepper
1 large red pepper
1 onion (you can use whatever kind you want, I had a red one on hand)


Uh….slice them. (Yeah, those are my words of wisdom. I freaking Sage, I am)

Drizzle some olive oil into a pan and add the veggies. I put a little salt in there as well to help sweat them out but you don’t have to. Oh, medium-low heat works well for this. Stir occasionally.

Quit cooking the veggies before they are cooked all of the way through, put in a bowl and set to the side while you cook the chicken. Be sure to drain the lime juice before putting the chicken into the pan. (You’ll probably have to drain a couple of times during the cooking process. Stir occasionally.

After the chicken is cooked through, add the veggies again and turn up the heat a bit. I usually try to get some coloring on the chicken. And again, stir occasionally.


Toppings:
Shredded lettuce
Cheese
Sour Cream
Tomato
Avocado


I think the avocado deserves its own picture…just sayin’. YUM!

And now…put it all together! My order was, chicken/veggie mixture, cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and sour cream. Fold in the ends, roll, and enjoy!


Love,
Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, Sarah those look awesome. Add this to my list of things to make! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also going on my list! Gotta love easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noms! Good call on the avocado pic...

    ReplyDelete