Saturday, March 19, 2011

Corned Beef and Cabbage

I know Sarah just posted a corned beef recipe, (and it looked uh-mazing) but I wanted to put mine up here as well, because I did it a little differently.  It was the first time trying it this way, but I think I will do it like this forever and ever from now on because it was good!  The meat was so tender and super tasty.  Here's what you need!

1 4lb corned beef roast (is that what they call it? A roast? I don't really know...)
2 Killian's Irish red beer (You could just as easily use Guiness, or any other kind of full flavored beer)
1/4 C. brown sugar.


I thought I wouldn't need two beers, so I only have one in the picture.  But I did end up using both of them.

Take your brown sugar and rub it all over the corned beef.  If you have a larger roast then obviously use more.  Place the corned beef in the crock pot.  Ok.  Now here comes the hard part.  So pay attention.

Open up the beer.  Don't take a drink.  Pour it into the crock pot.  Both of them.  If it doesn't quite cover the corned beef (mine didn't) go ahead and add a little water. 
 Cook on high for 4 hours, then turn the heat down to low and add carrots and quartered red potatoes.  Cook for three hours, or until vegetables are almost soft.  Add your cabbage and cook until tender.

 I couldn't fit all of the veggies in my crock pot, so I boiled some of them in a pot of water on the stove, and added the seasoning packet from the corned beef.  Yum. 

The meat was so tender and so tasty.  It was literally falling apart when I cut it.  So good. 
Have a great weekend everyone!

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment