Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cordon Bleu Meatloaf

The first time I ever had chicken cordon bleu was in the hospital.  It was hospital chicken cordon bleu.  It was Army hospital chicken cordon bleu.  And I liked it.  I really, really liked it.  Now, whether that was because I had just had a baby and was ravenous...we'll never know.  But at the time, it was the best thing I had ever eaten.  I haven't had the courage to try and make it myself, here at home yet.  It scares me a little.  But a cordon bleu meatloaf?

Sure!

I can't remember where I first saw, or heard of this recipe.  But it wanted to be made.  It needed to be made.  By me.  So I made it. 
Here's what you need:
2 lbs ground beef
1 C. Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
1 t. onion powder
1/8 t. garlic powder
Sliced ham, Swiss and Provolone cheeses.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Using your hands, (don’t forget to take of rings.  Been there.  Not fun.) mix together the ground beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, garlic and onion powders.  You could easily use a small/medium chopped onion in place of the onion powder but I really don’t like onion pieces in my meatloaf.  Usually I use dry onion soup mix, but I’m out! 
Once it’s all mixed together, place it on a sheet of waxed paper and pat it out to about ½ inch thick.  Make sure it isn’t wider than your loaf pan.
Take your cheeses and ham and layer them on top of the meat mixture. 
 

There are a few things that I can’t handle only in moderation.  Cheese is one of them.  So is wine.

Using the wax paper to help, roll up the meat and seal the edges.  Put it in a greased loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for  1 hour and 15 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165˚F.

Sorry about the pictures....my camera has gone missing...they are taken with my phone. :)

~Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment