Friday, March 25, 2011

Chocolate Chili Cupcakes

I was feeling adventurous and thought I’d try another type of cupcake. Yes, more baking. And yes, I lived to tell the tale, aren’t you impressed? You should be. Anyway, this one was made while my children were tugging at my pant legs, “Mom, are they done yet? How about now? Are they done? Can we have one when they’re done? Mommmmm, are they DONE!?!!?!?” Yeah…that was enjoyable. No matter how many times I tried to tell them that they may not like this particular cupcake, they wouldn’t listen.

And after making a huge chocolaty mess, a few failed attempts at making pretty chocolate curls, and a very messy Kitchen-Aid, much to my surprise, the kids actually loved them! These cupcakes aren’t for everyone. Some people don’t like the little “kick” they have to them. But I think regardless whether or not you think they’re weird…they’re worth a shot.

One thing I will say, this is a very dense cupcake.  A couple of my coworkers really liked it, saying that it was so rich and chocolaty, and that they almost felt like the had a cheesecake consistency. It doesn’t have a light and fluffy texture. So if you’re looking for a cupcake like that, just click that lovely little X in the top right hand corner.

The music: Shockingly enough, The Gaslight Anthem. No song in particular this time, just…all of them.
The drink: Coffeeeeeee for this zombie momma.

Basically for this batter, I used the same one that I did for my Somewhere Over the Rainbow Cupcakes, only I added:
3/4c. Cocoa powder
3/4t. Cayenne pepper
½ t. Cinnamon
1c. + an extra splash of milk




Follow the instructions from the Somewhere Over the Rainbow Cupcakes, just making sure that you add the extra ingredients. If you want to start out with smaller amounts of the cayenne pepper and cinnamon, that’s fine; you can always add more. Doesn’t that look yummy? I kind of want to stick my face in that….anyway….

Fill up the lined cupcake tin and bake for about 18 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.


Frosting:
3/4c. Butter, softened
3-3 ½ c. confectioners’ sugar
¼ c. vanilla extract
1c. Cocoa powder
½ c. milk
2T. Grated dark chocolate




Do it all up in a mixer, adding the milk gradually. Yup…that’s it. - Quick note, this makes way more frosting than you need.  So if you wanna eat a spoonful or five...go ahead...I won't judge...too harshly.

After the cupcakes have cooled completely, just put that beautiful frosting with a kick on top and sprinkle with grated dark chocolate.


And there you have it, Chocolate Chili Cupcakes....



Love,
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Feel free to ship some to your favorite person ever in Connecticut :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing... I'm going to make up a word right now - "Scrumtrulescent"

    (sorry random Will Ferrell reference) :)

    Definitely want to try these, makes me want to watch the movie Chocolat!

    ReplyDelete