Saturday, March 19, 2011

Blueberry and Mascarpone Turnovers

Well now I know I have to share this with everyone. The impossible has happened. My youngest little monster….LOVED these. He didn’t cringe, he didn’t whine, he didn’t even throw himself down on the floor and throw a five alarm tantrum. He ate. He loved. He ate some more.

Ever since I had seen these lovely little treats on Giada at Home on Food Network, I knew I had to try them. I mean blueberries, lemon, and mascarpone cheese? Come on…who wouldn’t want a face full of that?? Crazy people. That’s who. This recipe is incredibly easy and freaking awesome. It was kind of like baking without actually having to bake. Ok, not really, but it sounded good.

The music: The Gaslight Anthem…again. Check out their cover of “Come Together”. It’s epic. It makes me happy. You know, I should get something for talking about their music so much; like show tickets, or autographs, or for them to thank me in person and want me to become a groupie and travel everywhere with them and eventually cook for them. Their road chef! I could be their road chef! Ooops…got carried away there…..ANYWAY…..
The drink: Coffeeeeeee with Cinnabon flavored creamer. If you haven’t tried that creamer, try it. You’ll see God, I swear. Even if you don’t believe in God, you’ll see him. But I digress…..

Thank you, Giada De Laurentis for the faboosh om noms…..
½ c. mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
2 TB. granulated sugar (and a little extra for sprinkling)
½ tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/3 c. fresh blueberries
2 (9 inch) refrigerated pie crusts
1 egg, beaten
Vegetable oil, for frying

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. If you don’t have the fancy stuff, wax paper will work.

If you’re find it difficult to squeeze the juice out of a lemon, try rolling it on the counter a bit.

A box grater would work to zest the lemon. But I used my handy dandy…hand grater! (Forgive me, we’re totally watching Blue’s Clues right now)

Mix together the mascarpone, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon zest until all smooth and beautiful.

Carefully stir in the blueberries so they don’t break or smush. I’m assuming I don’t need to remind anyone to wash the berries beforehand. If you wouldn’t have thought to do that…stop reading this blog. Right now. I mean it.

Using a 3 ½-inch cookie cutter (or a glass which I totally measured because I couldn’t find a round cookie cutter anywhere) cut the pie dough into 12 circles and place on the prepared baking sheet.

Lightly brush the edges of the dough with the beaten egg. This acts as a “glue”.

Place about 1 ½tsp. of the cheese mixture in the center of the dough. This gives about two or three berries per circle.


Fold the dough in half to enclose the filling and pinch the edges to seal.


Using a fork, carefully crimp the sealed edges. Then stick ‘em in the fridge for 10 minutes.

While the good stuff is getting all nice and chilly: In a large pot, poor enough oil to fill it at least half way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying (or candy) thermometer inserted in the oil reaches approx. 375 degrees F. Fry the turnovers for 1-1 ½ minutes until golden.


Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with sugar while still hot.

Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.



Yummmmmmmmm. These turnovers…as my friend, Marissa, would say…are scandalous.

Love,
Sarah

PS: Sorry I went a little slap-happy with the pics. And, Liz, I’m totally stealing your Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe for next year!
:

1 comment:

  1. om nom nom nom nom nom.

    must. try. now.

    need a road chef assistant? ;))

    ReplyDelete