Thursday, March 24, 2011

Strawberry Lime Bars with Coconut Crust

I've been wanting to make a lime-coconut-something for a while now.  Just ask Sarah.  It was going to be cookies.  It really was.  But then...I glanced over to the other side of my counter and the strawberries that were sitting there called my name, loudly.  But the thought of using strawberries in cookies scares me a little.  I think they would look dirty.  So I decided to do bars.  I love bars.  No pun intended. 

I have a go-to recipe for lemon bars that I decided to tweak a little bit to make it extra yummy.  Here's what you'll need:

1 stick of butter
1 C. lightly packed brown sugar
2 C. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 C. flaked coconut.  (using oatmeal is very good too)

3 limes
Strawberries
1/3 C. sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Zest of one lime

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. 

Slice the strawberries and put them in a bowl with the sugar and the juice of one lime.  Let it sit for about thirty minutes to get all nice and glossy and sweet.



Mix together butter and brown sugar, for the crust.  Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, then add it to the butter/sugar mixture.  Add the coconut and stir to combine.  You'll have extra, because I usually use these measurements for a double layer.  If you want to, you can use the leftover crust mixture and sprinkle it on top of the strawberry layer.
Press it into the bottom of a greased 8x8 pan.


Open up your can of sweetened condensed milk and mix it with the lime zest and 1/2 C. of lime juice.  The limes I had were NOT good for juicing, but luckily I had bottled lime juice on hand.  Mix it together well, then pour it on top of the crust.


Take the strawberries and put them in your blender and puree for a few seconds, until there are no more big chunks.  Pour it on top of the lime mixture and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.  Cool completely and cut into squares.  These are really good cold, so slide them in the fridge for a while before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment